The major part of the parish which is combined with Gunton, lies within a conservation area and it is split by the A140. Hanworth is unusual, its houses standing around a large grazed common; many of them holiday cottages or second homes.
The church is dedicated to St Bartholomew. It was all rebuilt in the early 15th century Perpendicular period which gave it a splendid square tower. It replaced a smaller Norman church. The tower still has its ring of bells on an ancient bell-frames (a rare survival). In the nave, black-marble leger slabs are a memorial to the Doughty family of the Hall. The churchyard is still used for burials and the interment of ashes.
This church is dedicated to St Andrew. This is the only Grade 1, Listed Building in the group. It was designed by the nationally famous architect Robert Adam and opened in Easter 1770. The quality of its proportioning surpasses anything that modern architects are able to achieve. Taking the form of a Doric Temple, it has a prominent portico. The inside is laid out like a chapel as there are no aisles or chancel. The decorative plaster-work and joinery is outstanding – designed in a style that harks back to the previous Palladian style. The churchyard is still used for burials and the interment of ashes.
The church lies within Gunton Park just to the east of the A140 from Norwich to Cromer
The congregation is drawn from the local villages as well as visitors who are attracted to this church which has no electricity. While that causes restrictions, we enjoy a pipe organ whose bellows have to be pumped.
Because the church is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, services are limited to Christmas, Easter and Harvest with baptisms, weddings and funerals when appropriate.