Bessingham is situated in the west of the benefice. It is a small community within a conservation area.
The discovery of Roman pottery remain were discovered in 1870 confirmed that the village pre-dates the Saxon tower of the church. Roman tiles were used in the niche over the entrance porch. William the Conqueror gave the village to a noble Fleming. In 1211 it passed to Sir Piers de Bessingham. In the late middle ages it was owned variously by the Mauteby and Paston families. It was later sold to Admiral Lord Anson, the Spurrell family and, in 1951, Mr Ronald Hitchcock. Most of the property belongs to the residents of the village.