The village of Sustead lies to the east of the church, running down the hill towards Metton and comprises a mixture of good sized houses, cottages and converted barns, showing its origins as an agricultural community. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book and over the years has been known as Susted, Sutsted, and Southstede, all probably deriving from the Anglo-Saxon word for southern place.
The village comprises about 40 houses. This has probably not changed much over the last century as the 1911 census recorded a total population of 127.
In 2000 they produced an alternative to the Doomsday Book in the form of the Sustead Village Millennium Book with entries from each resident. This was updated in 2017 with most residents supplying favourite recipes.